you're not feeling thanksgiving this year. you're [check one or all that apply]
- 30 pounds overweight
- struggling with seasonal affective disorder
- suffering from depression
- newly single and alone
- exhausted from working too much
- away from your family for the first time ever
- away from home on a continent that doesn't celebrate thanksgiving
- reeling from the loss of a loved one
- broke & unemployed
- employed but broke
and now on top of whatever it is you're dealing with in november - a month that's not always easy to love what with it's usually cold temperatures and lack of sunlight - you're going to be expected to travel the distance to show up at home and to wow your family
- with a gorgeous tray of food you made from scratch
- looking happy & cute in a new outfit that will make your cousins jealous
- with your boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse/children looking happy & cute and [see 1 &2]
- and to never at any time give any indication that you're suffering from [see all the things you checked above] while you travel the distance to show up at home to wow family [see 1,2,3]
- while you exhibit lots of enthusiasm for the most popular american family holiday when you'd love nothing more than to be curled up Bridget Jones Style on your couch solo with a bottle of Grey Goose while binge watching Orange Is The New Black until Black Friday [oh God I forgot about Cyber Monday] well whatever until January 1st when you can finally make a New Start and finally Get The Life You Want.
well, get over it Sister.
because you're just 24 hours away from having to walk onto the family field - which I can promise you is not going to be the warm and happy homecoming stadium filled with the bright lights and people chanting your name from the bleachers that you've been dreaming about from the long lost distance of Somewhere Else.
and unless you come up with a sure-fire plan for dodging well-meaning family bullets - you'd better get busy coming up with A Believable Out because I'm here to tell you:
there are worse things in life than riding out thanksgiving solo.
believe you me.
and because i am for the first time in many years in the most enviable position i've ever experienced -
inside the warm clutches of not one but two newly happily married daughters who are expecting babies!!! and constantly texting and calling me and therefore exempting me from any sensations of loneliness but most especially granting me immunity from any form of family scrutiny or judgement about anything i'm supposed to have and do not - and all the things i do have that i should not - because you see i have here for the first time in decades Socially Acceptable and Age Appropriate Things to Talk About and i have Wedding Photos so i'm pretty much invincible -
what i meant to say 500 words ago is that i'm here for you if you're not feeling thanksgiving. or christmas or new years - even.
and from now until january 2nd i'm going to be working 24/7 to keep the bright light of hope burning here with frequent warm & sunny updates and tips to help brighten your holiday life
~selfie from the year i rode out istanbul solo during thanksgiving & christmas